5.21.2013

Beer Tuesday - Kona Brewing Longboard Island Lager

I'm not a huge fan of lagers, but I decided to try the Kona Longboard Island Lager because it was a hot day. And there was a picture of a beach on the label, which sort of enticed me to give this beer a try.

First of all, this beer is super-carbonated. It gives it sort of a light airy flavor. Citrusy notes on the flavor. I'd probably rate this to be a superior lager, overall. Tastes like a lager SHOULD taste like, which is obviously why they label it as a lager in the first place. For a beer that uses four different types of hops, the hop flavor is noticeably pretty much absent. Certainly more malty than anything else.

4.6% ABV. So pretty light but that's to be expected from the type of brewery that Kona is. Basically marketed as a Hawaiian beer but is truely made on the mainland by licensed commercial breweries.

Overall score: B-. Mostly because I don't like lagers that much to begin with.

No comments: