Today is March 13th, "National Mashed Potato Day."
Okay, I made that shit up. But mashed potatoes really do deserve their own holiday. I for one love mashed potatoes, and if you're anything like me, you probably love mashed potatoes too.
There isn't really anything that mashed potatoes don't go with. Mashed potatoes pretty much go with any other dish. Chicken, beef, pork, tofu, fish, vegetables. Name one food that mashed potatoes don't go with, and I'll give you a prize. The prize is I show up to your house and I fill your mailbox up with free mashed potatoes.
Making mashed potatoes is easy. You boil potatoes until they are falling apart (about an hour or so depending on how you cut them). I prefer to peel and boil the potatoes whole. However if you want to cook them faster you can slice them into pieces. You can also leave the skin on if that is your preference.
Next, you drain the potatoes and smash them up. There are various ways to accomplish this, but it is up to you. Next, I add a whole stick of butter. Let it melt. Then add milk. This part takes practice. If you don't add enough milk the potatoes will be pasty and weird. If you add too much, they'll be soupy and weird. Next, use a hand blender and whip the hell out of them. No seriously, the more you whip the potatoes the better they will taste. You can add salt and pepper as you whip them to taste. Don't overdo it though, because you can always add salt and pepper at the table.
No comments:
Post a Comment