10.07.2010

Spiral Fractures



This is an xray image of a distal tibia fracture. This person sustained a GLF (healthcare shorthand for "ground level fall"). They were coming out of a McDonald's, stepped off a curb funny, and sustained a spiral fracture, probably due to torsion.

Many difficulties associated with this type of fracture.

This particular fracture isn't something that can simply be casted up and sent home. Due to the displacement of the two ends of the bone, it can't simply be popped back into place and stabilized. Without surgical intervention, the smaller broken off part would probably die due to lack and blood flow and the associated lack of oxygen to the cells. If the section of bone were to die, I can guarantee that at some point gangrene would occur. At that point, the only option would be amputation of the entire limb.

Also, this type of fracture hurts like a bitch. The muscles are displaced and cramping occurs. Imagine the worst charlie horse ever and multiply that by 10 and then have it last all night. Next the ligaments are not happy either. Also as inflammation sets in, the pain level will continue to increase. In cases like this, pain control is extremely tricky. Oftentimes people will walk the line between being oversedated (and close to respiratory failure) due to narcotics and not having their pain at a tolerable level. Then there are the whole host of side-effects that opiates bring but that's for a different post some other day.

So at the least, the person would never be able to walk again. At the most, they would die from gangrene. So what to do?

Fortunately, what you're looking at is a fairly clean break for a spiral fracture (although it is impossible to tell from this xray - you'd need to see the CT scan version). Therefore this break is something that can be repaired by a decent specialist in an hour with the use of a rod and a few bone screws.

Basically, what the surgeon does; First they get the bone back in alignment using a "C-Arm" (or fluoroscope). Its called a C-Arm because it is shaped like a giant letter C. Basically it is a real-time Xray that allows the surgery team to see underneath the skin to the bone while they work.

Next, the surgeon makes three incisions. The first one is the largest. The surgeon uses this to run a (stainless steel or titanium) rod the length of the fracture. Next, using two smaller incisions the surgeon screws the rod in; above and below the fracture. These screws stabilize the bone to the rod. The C-Arm is utilized throughout the procedure to ensure everything is where it needs to be (the bone, the screws, and the rod).

The entire time, throughout the procedure, there is a salesman that sells the rods/screws from the medical device company making recommendations as to the size and length of the rods and screws (we're talking about the human body here, and you need to make sure you get the right product the first time!).

This procedure is known as an Open Reduction External Fixation (or ORIF for short). In this case, the patient had an ORIF of the Tibia. Open, because an incision was made (the skin was opened). Reduction, because the space between the fractured bone was reduced. Internal Fixation, the fixators of the bone (or rod and screws in this case) are located on the inside.

Each bone screw costs nearly $400 USD, and the rod itself is nearly $8000 (or more, depending on the size). So there is quite a bit of money involved. Add the cost of the materials, the surgeon's time, the anesthesthia, the support team, the drugs, the hospital bed. You're easily looking at a $40,000+ hospital bill.

The next phase after surgery involves keeping the injured leg immobilized. Usually using some kind of brace when up and walking. While in bed, ice and pillows are used to elevate the leg above the heart to help prevent swelling. Rest is a huge part of the recovery process and I can't stress this enough.

The injured leg will not tolerate any weightbearing whatsoever for the first 4-6 weeks. The length of time varies based on a person's age and overall physical condition. Keeping weight off the leg is a major challenge. Early physical therapy, good pain control, and lots of exercise are required to strengthen the upper extremities to get used to carrying the weight of the body when up and walking (this is especially true for obese people).

The next phase, after weight bearing can resume, centers around exercising the leg that was injured. Since it has been out of use for several weeks, it will be extremely weak. So in a way, it is like learning how to walk again.

All in all, take care of yourselves. Eat healthy. Take your vitamins. Exercise your muscles. Don't do stupid stuff. This type of injury could easily put you out of work for several months; especially the people who have physically active jobs. Not to mention the risk for infection that any type of implant carries.

Science and medicine these days are truly amazing. 200 years ago, this injury would have killed someone within a year. Now it can be taken care of. For $40,000, barring complications. :)

51 comments:

Drackar said...

Guuh. that's disturbing.

comradejoker.blogspot.com/ said...

Ground level fall... doesn't sound that bad.

Unknown said...

thats one serious fracture

BLUERAD said...

Yeah that looks pretty bad, even though i've never fractured anything, I can imagine the pain.

DrFresh said...

Oh man! thats nasty. Its stuff like this that makes me thank god i live in canada with our kickass health care plan.

Anonymous said...

Should always watch where you step..

Skimbosh said...

You forgot to add the part of the recovery where you sue McDonald's for having curbs.

James said...

Great post! I hope that never happens to my leg!

Janus Kane said...

I've seen some pretty nasty GLFs in my years, mates. Even short curbs, if you don't expect the ground, the force goes all the wrong places.

-JKane

John G said...

Man, I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain factor when that first happens.

Ishu said...

WOW that looks painful. Lol, I loved your last lines xD so true

Crunky said...

looks very painful

RandomlyRated said...

that looks painful to watch! :c

razortek said...

ouch :S

Michele said...

Keep up the good work!
Supp!

thecatzpajamas said...

i dont want my bones to get fractured :\
*knock on wood*

Per S said...

That must've hurt. I hope I never have to endure something like that, unless it's a trial for eternal life, because then I'd totally break a leg!

tonyman33 said...

oucchh :X

MMAwillgrow said...

oh crap cringe


mmawillgrow.blogspot.com

Naj said...

damn! really looks bad! i definitely don't want to experience that!

Barry White said...

that looks like it would hurt like hell.

Anonymous said...

omg that is oribile :(

Michael Casspir said...

Oh wow, that would've ruined my trip to McDicks for some chicken nuggets. Spiral fractures make my stomach turn.

BigBear said...

Jesus that must hurt. but honestly, opiates for that much..its abit overpriced realy.
Buy freaking 8 ball of heroin and the guy won't feel it. :/

But what bad luck, stepping off a curb at mcdonalds and breaking their bone.

Light Weight Baby! said...

omg, that must hurt... I've never broken a bone (knock on wood), so good luck with that

Unknown said...

How fat was this person to break a leg like this stepping over a curb?

thatangelokid said...

damn that looks painful!

Discerning Gentleman said...

damn, I feel your pain :(

Kevorkian said...

damn, it sucks

roger said...

ooo that looks painful

Archivist said...

eating healthy makes sure this dont happen/

Anonymous said...

it's nice that we have advanced enough to treat this

too bad it's so expensive

The Angry Vegetarian said...

I freaking LOVE reading things like this. I love anything related to the medical world.

I've actually never even heard of a spiral fracture (which isn't saying much). I can't believe it's that complicated that it can lead to gangrene and eventually death. Ever since I broke my ankle in the 8th grade I've developed an occasional fear when I'm walking. I start to obsess about how what if, while I'm walking, I stop walking. My brain just tells my legs to stop walking. Then I somehow trip and break something. FFFUUUUUUUU

I hated recovering from that broken ankle. Plus the fact I got it "fixed" by a crappy doctor didn't help. I still have problems with it.

iMonei said...

looks painful :S

daniel. said...

this isn't a fun post. thanks for nightmares.

Jimmy Volmer said...

good luck with the recover... that's painful

oskend said...

I've never broken a single bone in my entire body, and for that I am glad. Looks like it hurts, alot.

Crammarc said...

ouch that looks painful

Lizard said...

ouch. bet that hurt.

Splash87 said...

That x-ray made me wince, just got to watch how you walk.

Anonymous said...

All it takes is a bad twist :-/ I had a finger broken, minor spiral fracture, from getting it caught in a shirt, of all things. It turned all kinds of pretty colors, and healed without needing to be set. That xray looks pretty vicious though.

RoodNverse said...

this persons was obliviously fat lol esp coming outta a McDonald and to break your leg from a crub fall lmao... but ya cool doctors able to make ppl not die anymore, but really they should prolly stay away from McDonalds

jester said...

100% an accident that would only happen to a fat woman. Looks painful as shit and I'd hope the screw/rod is made out of martian crystal to cost so much...

hollowgirl said...

god that would hurt soooo badly! ouch! it hurts just looking at it!

Anonymous said...

supportin!

The Messy Apron said...

Whoa I never knew that about the gangrene. Very interesting!

momo said...

eeeh .____. ouch

kmartsmartsuperstar said...

Yeeowch. That looks like it sucked. But hey, no scars no proof, amirite?

Jimmy Volmer said...

awesome, I have to agree here!

Archivist said...

I see you changed your layout copying rads financial report.

Mr. Derp said...

I'm back!