After spending a few hours this week troubleshooting and narrowing down the problem, I decided it was the ignition control board. I'd go into how I came to that conclusion but it is boring nerd stuff.
I called the Ruud dealership and the lady said, "I'm sorry, we don't sell parts, we just sell furnaces. There is this place you could get the part you need but they won't sell to you since you're not a contractor." Ha ha ha...thanks lady.
So I managed to track down the part at this appliance store. They had two in stock. Otherwise I would have had to order it online. Which I would have saved money but I really just wanted to get my furnace working, because I have a one track mind like that.
I drove down there, got the part, and sat down to replace it. Keep in mind, I'm not a furnace guy, just a homeowner that likes to fix his own stuff when possible.
The offending part.
The replacement.
45 minutes of careful rewiring (I admit, I took a 15 minute break about halfway through...so 30 minutes).
Piece of junk!!!
Ignition!!!
Works perfectly. A furnace company would have probably charged me $500 to do the same work. I got it done for $150 total.
Just remember that any electrical parts come non-refundable, so you better be damn sure that the part you are replacing is indeed the part that is broken. Also, if you fuck up the new part between the time you buy it and install it, you're also fucked.
30 comments:
Rock on! DIY people rock.
Now... take apart the old one!
Very impressive. I'll definitely be following your blog since stuff in my home likes to stop working for no reason and you seem like quite the handyman.
Wow. Looks complicated man. nice work
Nice work. I always prefer to fix my own shit too. Probably the only time I'd hire an 'expert' is for surgery.
good stuff :)
THIS ShIT is Old
Nice savings, plus you get that feeling of handymanship for doing it yourself.
I would of just switched to burning broken kitchen chairs if my heat broke.
nice too see you did it yourself and saved money!
DIY FTW!
Not only can it save you money (If you do it right) you can take pride in knowing you did it yourself.
very interesting!
This is sweet I need a guide!
Huh! you know, november, I was just about to consider taking you off my follow list it is getting so full and I never see any updates from you! :p What a great post, its good to finally hear something from you, my friend! Expect me to check back daily once more, and keep up the awesome content.
And badass job with that hardware mate, looking at how easy you make it seem kinda inspires me to pick up a few handyman skills myself!
-JKane
Yeah, always best to fix it yourself if you can..
very nice
i like it
supportin !
DIY FTW! awesome!
Wow that's really cool. I always try to fix stuff myself, but I wouldn't touch anything electronic like this. I'd love to learn how though.
i am mr fixeverything in the house T___T it sucks man
Complicated shit is complicated. I know how you feel
welldone, plus you saved a lot!
WOOT to you and your mighty fixing skills! Maybe I should higher you to come to my house and help fix some of the stuff that needs fixing here? :P
Bloody good job, mate.
Congratulations on fixing it yourself! You'll be warmed by that furnace for years (cross your fingers), and every day you'll know that it's through your effort that it's possible.
Always DIY if you know how, it's much more satisfying as well as being cheaper
sweet post!
I'm looking forward to your next post!
great diy post. I plan on checking back if you have more.
shame man, hope your working well with it again soon =D
nice blog dude, keep up the work
nice.. you have maked it from your own hands... smart kid..
and when we do something like that.. we fell proud, i am like u too..hehe.. nice one bro
keep posting
thanks for the update!
Post a Comment