10.05.2010

The nightmare shift from hell

Only 9 hours into this surreal nightmare shift from hell...3 to go. Monday morning can't come fast enough


Several people posted some questions in the comments section of my previous post. I thought I'd elaborate a little bit, and answer your questions. And also delve into the post a little bit. Considering I am hanging out right now at home drinking a beer (with Napoleon Dynamite playing as some background noise).

You can also click on their names if you're interested in finding some awesome blogs to follow.


tonyman33 said...
hahah, your wishing for monday to come sooner? WHAT


I work the weekend shift, it is awesome.

Naj said...
wat?


I really don't intend for my posts to be cryptic, honest. I try to post longer ones when I have time.

Michael Casspir said...
Posting from your iPhone? What app are you using?


I actually have an android phone. But I use a program called Anypost. Anypost works via ping.fm. Ping.fm updates all my social network statuses automatically. If you scroll back through this blog you'll see my last several hundred updates (this blog was originally just an extension of my twitter/facebook updates). I only started actually "writing" here recently. Although this isn't the first blog I've ever had. I used to use livejournal a lot (my account was active back to early 2002), but frankly that medium is dead at this point. So I switched over to blogger. A lot of the one liner things you see are/were intended as universal status updates. You can configure ping.fm to do larger status updates but I can't imagine trying to compose anything substantial using my cellphone.

snoobyy said...
haha elaborate?


Okay, I will. Let me start this off by explaining that I work at a hospital. It can be really stressful. Crazy shit happens. Its always unpredictable. Last night was particularly surreal to me. I kept wishing for it to be over, but it seemed like it was never going to end!!

I had a patient that kept shitting the bed every hour. Although this person was completely capable of getting up to the bathroom, they just shit the bed, then they'd go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet (not shitting) while we changed the bed linens.

The next patient over was requesting pain meds every 2 hours, then going outside to smoke after I gave them. They had their cell phone set to the pain medication schedule so their phone alarm went off when the pain medications were due. Mind you, they were there for lung disease and were receiving heliox therapy. If you're not familiar with heliox therapy, heliox is when your lungs are so fucked up the only way to get oxygen to your body is to combine the oxygen with helium (heliox is lol it makes them talk like fags too). They patient would come back in wheezing and barely able to breathe and I'd have to call the respiratory therapist to come give them a breathing treatment.

Another patient was a one legged vietnam veteran with PTSD that was completely insane. Think Walter in The Big Lebowski but for real. He got his leg blown off in Vietnam by a land mine back in 1968 but apparently he has yet to get over it. At one point he disconnected the TV and took it down from the wall. Then when I woke him up to medicate him at one point he flipped the fuck out.

But the icing on the cake was the patient on chemotherapy. Basically, in a nutshell, they had an adverse reaction to the chemo drug and they died. First they hacked up a bit of blood. Within forty five minutes they developed a huge hemorrhage and bled to death out of their nose and mouth. Literally a gallon of blood and a bit more came out. Every time we did a chest compression it blurped out some more. Blood was literally everywhere. Blood was running off the bed onto the floor. I got it all over my shoes and my scrubs. The whole situation was really hopeless and futile. I've never seen that happen before. When we went to clean up the mess there were big chunks of lung tissue mixed in with the blood. (when I was done with that was when I posted that status update).

I was so happy and relieved when I got in my car to drive home that tears literally welled up in my eyes.

Killian said...
Surreal nightmare? You stuck in Silent Hill bro?


I felt like it. Just needed a fog machine to really top it off.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grusome image..

Naj said...

lol

you're talking about job shift! i thought it was some angst line emo kids post.

thecatzpajamas said...

atleast you have a job

Sweeeeeetas said...

how do you stay awake!!

RandomlyRated said...

yeah, at least you have a job!

Janus Kane said...

Haha, november mate, I know how you feel, nightshift is hell incarnate to the bored mind. I loved the personal feedback, and if you don't mind, I might even use it for my next post for a little commentator participation. I love how much thought you've put into the blog recently, and am following avidly once more!

I should never have doubted you, good sir, excellent work.
-JKane

Dr. Phun said...

Atleast you earn money :P

razortek said...

Supp Bro
I'm angry bro!

Lizard said...

you're lucky to have a job indeed.

Skimbosh said...

At least you are working to help people? What's the silver lining here?
Having someone die while you are working can only add to the surrealism.
Get some sleep or something. Chill out and put it all behind you.

Anonymous said...

Damn dude, I didn't realize you worked a hospital floor. I work the prehospital side, EMS. It gets rough. Once in a hundred patients, but that one patient...

Hit me up if you ever need an outlet.

Michele said...

Cool post man!Thanks!
Supp :D

Archivist said...

protect your android phone, it might break easy./